This summer has been really hot. To cool off we've been jumping in the ocean, finding any excuse to be in air conditioning, and searching out big shady trees. Anyone that's visited our shop knows we're in the middle of Kaka'ako, a neighborhood near to our hearts, but one of the hottest spots on Oahu. In our asphalt covered neighborhood you have to look hard to find that shady tree.
So today we are using the blog to share some urban tree facts, and to hopefully encourage everyone to get out there and start planting. Let's make Honolulu a better place to live one tree at a time. Treehooo!
Here are few of our favorite tree facts:
- The evaporation from a single tree can produce the cooling effect of 10 room size air conditioners operating 20 hours a day.
- You can easily request a street tree planting from the Honolulu City and County's Urban Forestry Department (808.971.7151).
- Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30%.
- Trees absorb and block noise and reduce glare. A well placed tree can reduce noise by as much as 40%.
- One tree can absorb as much carbon in a year as a car produces while driving 26,000 miles.
- A large tree can provide a day's supply of oxygen for 4 people.
- Urban areas with heavy tree cover are about 10 degrees cooler than urban areas with few trees.
- Studies have proven that urban vegetation can result in slower heartbeats, lower blood pressure, and more relaxed brain wave patterns.
- Hospital patients have been shown to recover from surgery more quickly when their hospital room offered a view of trees. They also had fewer complaints, less pain killers and left the hospital sooner.
- Find more info on the benefits of trees here.